users-prolog

Re: General Logic Programming Question

From: Vic Bancroft
Subject: Re: General Logic Programming Question
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 08:26:55 -0500 (EST)

----- Message Text -----
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> I'm curious if Prolog or the Constraint Solving elements of Logic
> Programming can provide a suitable basis for constructing "real
> world" software?

Yes, often the more "real world" a problem is, the greater the need for
sophisticated computational tools.

> Is there sufficient efficiency in terms of speed and memory use for
> building an entire application (say some kind of database or possibly
> even a web server) as opposed to embedding Prolog to be used for some
> small subset of the problem?

Often, prolog or constraint satisfaction plays a central role in an
application.  However, many of the more mundane aspects of the application
are more easily (or already) handled in another language framework.  The
choice to make some part of the application java or perl may not be a
reflection on the prolog language or implementation, but rather on the
prolog programming community.  Perhaps we could phrase the question,

  Where is the prolog equivalent of CPAN ?

more,
l8r,

 Victor Bancroft
 Fellow, Artificial Intelligence Center               (706) 542-0358
 Athens, Georgia  30602, U.S.A           http://ai.uga.edu/~bancroft
 Principal Engineer, Zvolve Systems                  [v]770.551.4505
 1050 Crown Pointe Pkwy, Suite 300, Atlanta GA 30338 [f]770.551.4509