unifont

Re: [unifont] [svfig] <NSF> Crays & APL

From: Paul Hardy
Subject: Re: [unifont] [svfig] <NSF> Crays & APL
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 21:44:58 -0700

Bob,

My favorite computer song of all time is "APL Blossom Time".

Apart from the commercial APL implementations you mention on your website, there is also GNU APL, written by Dr. Jürgen Sauermann (https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/apl).  I created a special GNU/Linux PSF (console) font of 512 bitmapped glyphs taken from Unifont that supports GNU APL and some other APL versions, so folks could run APL in single-user console mode.  There was no other such PSF font at the time.  Here is a link to the latest version: http://unifoundry.com/pub/unifont-9.0.06/font-builds/Unifont-APL8x16-9.0.06.psf.gz.

In my Unicode forays, I once came across a page that lists interesting Unicode symbols and I just managed to find it again (http://t-a-w.blogspot.com/2008/12/funny-characters-in-unicode.html).  One symbol is from APL with a snide comment; here are a few highlights:

Paul