tsp-devel

RE: [Tsp-devel] Octet string and 0 char

From: PAGNOT, Robert
Subject: RE: [Tsp-devel] Octet string and 0 char
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:15:15 +0100

All,

Not usual my intervention on this forum. Anyhow ...
Just to remind that OCTET STRING is generally wrongly assumed to be a vehicle
for ASCii character strings, whereas this is an ASN.1 primitive type simply
carrying an array of bytes.
One need to define a textual convention and display hints in order to transform
an OCTET STRING into TEXT (and use the %s formatting).
Take a look at SNMP SMI-v2 RFC-2579 for some examples of this : for instance,
the very frequent DisplayString type is a textual convention for NVT
characters, based on OCTET STRING, and where the NUL has no special meaning :
in particular, it is not marking the end of the character string ! Another one
is DateAndTime.

Hope this helps you avoiding a, so much frequent, trap ...

Robert