tsp-devel

Re: [Tsp-devel] dtest: a distributed test framework

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [Tsp-devel] dtest: a distributed test framework
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 01:56:00 +0200

2007/4/24, Frederik Deweerdt <address@hidden>:
I'm not strongly attached to XMLRPC, it just seemed handy to me.
> I like the idea of being able to build autonomous binary which
> could be deployed without python being installed I wonder
> if it could be optional.
You mean in case python is already installed on the target?

No I mean if the python
scripting does ONLY takes place on the machine you initially
"make test".
That is imagine your launch AND test_engine scripts are pure python
and you do scp/sftp/ssh through a Python SSH implementation

(twisted conch :  http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/conch/
or
paramiko: http://www.lag.net/paramiko/
are options)

then you have one (or several) "local" python scripts which
"only" handles ssh connection whose stdin/stdout/stderr are
directly controlled by the local python scripts.
Thoses scripts may barrier/ok locally.
The remote target stdout results comes from SSH link.
The remote target file results should be scp from target to
dtest local host. (this is a weakness of my scheme)

with this scheme you do not need to "Freeze" your scripts
because python should at least be installed on the "local"
dtest host machine.

You still/may have to transfer the "tested" binaries to the target
(if they are not already there) but not the test scripts itself.

With this scheme you may even drive distributed linux test
from a Windows box or the converse or mixed
distributed  systems too :=)

I'll try and let you know if I managed to do it.

Any thought about this scheme are welcome before I waste
time on an obviously wrong way to do distributed test :))

> When I get to clarify my own ideas I will get back to you :))
>
> By the way,  the tests says:
Hmm it seems that ctest has not been thaught how to parse the test
results :(.
The "ImportError: No module named test_helper" message is strange, the
cxFreeze should have included it in the binary... Path problem?

I'll investigate those error tomorrow :=)

--
Erk