tsp-devel

Re: [Tsp-devel] Use of opaque types

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [Tsp-devel] Use of opaque types
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 14:27:15 +0200

2007/3/31, Robert de Vries <address@hidden>:
I see that the developers have used opaque types to hide the implementation
of the structures from the end users.
A typical example is this:

 /** Opaque handle type for provider */
 typedef  void* TSP_provider_t;

[...]

The problem I currently see as that with the current scheme of opaque types
you not only hide the type, but also the type information, and that is not
so good.

Yes your are right.
Stephane (GALLES) did this :))
I let him explain why with more detail.

I think we was "only wanting" to ease future changes,
The fact is it has been more painful that useful.
We discovered those drawbacks during our 5 years of TSP usage.

The initial TSP base code (src/core mainly) was done in 2002
and we discovered from time to time that the code needs
to be refactored and some parts have already been
almost fully rewritten.

We should make changes smoothly
in order to keep backward compatibility
and your suggestion is a good one.