tsp-devel

Re: [Tsp-devel] Seeking a TSP for Win32 builder/maintainer

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [Tsp-devel] Seeking a TSP for Win32 builder/maintainer
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:14:47 +0100

2007/1/30, Frederik Deweerdt <address@hidden>:
On 1/29/07, Eric Noulard <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for a volunteer for being
>
> "THE TSP for Win32 maintainer and builder"
Now, that sounds weird :)

Yep true it is :)

> I am currently doing some patches here and there
> for a "clean" Solaris 10 compilation and even if
> I am careful not to break other arch build I would
> rather have a clean Win32 build and test before
> releasing TSP 0.8.3.
>
> Please tell me who want/is able to do this?
> I promise I won't tell you are running Win32 box ;)
Would a mingw32 cross-compile and a wine run be acceptable? I'd say
this would be the lightest and easiest on the long run and I'd go for
it.

I think the mingw32 cross-compile is very valuable path to go.

1) Because it may act as reference example
   for cross-compiling TSP

2) Because it would be a good way to maintain the Win32 port
   at little cost

I shall indicate a link which could help as a starting point:
http://www.dumbbell.fr/howto/win32-cross-compilation.fr.html

Nevertheless I see 2 limitations to this solution:

L1) Can we still generate an NSIS installer as we do on "genuine" win32
    platform?

L2) We still need, at least, beta-tester on real win32 host
    Linux+Wine won't be sufficient since the current TSP for Win32 bundle
    includes windows RPC DLL AND rpc portmap service
    which almost surely won't install itself through wine.

So my point is:

cross mingw32 compiling is a very valuable option
but it does not cover all the need.
--
Erk