traverso-devel

[Traverso-devel] Plugins

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Plugins
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 14:08:17 +0200

> > I found something interesting:
> > http://jezabel.sourceforge.net/index.html
> > It doesn't seem to be active anymore, but we could probably learn a lot
> > about
> > LADSPA plugins from the code.
>
> I'm still not sure how to proceed with the plugins stuff, specially in
> regard to the JMB enabled GUI's.
> Perhaps it's better to first create some 'internal' effects, like the
> jmbeq/fade you made, code a prototype for the Curve/CurveNodes/GUI etc.

I've been thinking about it, too, and I think it is important to use as much
code from LADSPA plugins as possible. Otherwise we would waste a lot of effort
only to catch up to the quality of existing plugins. So what I have in  mind
is: calling the internal effect 'parametric eq' loads an LADSPA plugin (we
determine which one) in the background and opens our GUI. The user would not
know what's going on behind the scene. But it would allow us to easily use a
different plugin as backend once there is one of better quality. And we only
had to implement LADSPA support, no custom 'internal effect' framework. We
could either have dependencies to the used plugins, or distribute a copy of
them with Traverso.

What do you think about this?

Regards,
Nic