trans-coord-devel

Re: Selective checkout of www

From: Thérèse Godefroy
Subject: Re: Selective checkout of www
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 19:05:06 +0200

Le mercredi 04 septembre 2013 à 13:39 +0000, Ineiev a écrit :
> > But who cares for 10 seconds, after all, when we are
> > saving from 15min to over an hour?
>
> I'd also think about that as about saving hundreds MB of disk space.

I quite agree with you. This was my main concern, actually. I had a
problem with an SSD in June, almost bricked it, probably because of this
constant shuffling around of hundreds (thousands?) of files. The size is
important, but any file occupies at least one "erase block", even if
empty. To even out the wear, the file gets written elsewhere at every
modification, and the blocks it was sitting on keep their "occupied"
status until they are erased. If they are not properly erased, all of
them end up being marked as occupied, even though the system claims that
the disk is nearly empty. This is most likely what happened to my SSD.

After updating the firmware and reinstalling everything, I mounted
GNU, /tmp and a few other folders with high turnover in tmpfs (saving
GNU to disk at shutdown only). It means I have less than 1GB to work
with, i.e. half of the total RAM.

BTW, it would be nice to select just one
server/skip-translations.lang.html out of the 32 translations. ;)

Thérèse