trans-coord-devel

Re: Non-ascii characters in the original articles

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Non-ascii characters in the original articles
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 07:31:13 +0000

On чт, 2008-02-07 at 09:23 +0200, Kaloian Doganov wrote:
> So, I guess it is reasonable to require all original files that enter
> GNUN to be encoded in UTF-8.

This is bad because suppose that some language does not use UTF-8, but
strings with UTF-8 characters occur in the original article.  When
something changes, this original text will be replaced in the
generated .xx.html, which will appear broken.  (For example, Big5
encoding plus some English text in UTF-8)

This is precisely the reason to use entities in translation-list.  I'm
not sure if the FSF HTML Style Sheet requires entities for ALL non-ascii
characters, but I think it should, especially in our case when GNUN will
be running.