Re: Question about remote path.

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Question about remote path.
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 19:15:38 +0100

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 02:46:11PM +0100, Michael Albinus wrote:
Ergus <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Michel:

The canonical method would be to regard `tramp-remote-path' as
connection-local variable. I fear this doesn't work yet properly whith
`tramp-remote-path'; will check.

Ohh good, thanks! maybe not for all users, but for me this will be very
useful.

This shall work. But you must instruct Tramp to accept the settings in
your .profile. This is done by adding the symbol `tramp-own-remote-path'
to `tramp-remote-path', as explained in the manual.

Got it now and done. Yes it works. The manual there was not clear,
probably my technical understanding limitations. Sorry

Hmm, I don't understand this completely. Could you pls give me an
example, especially what you mean by loading modules. A kernel module?

There is a program called lmod[1] for example and there are multiple
versions and programs. When a user wants to use one of them he calls for
example:

module load gcc/7.2.1

And the environment variables will be modified to add the locations
preempted to the path, ld_library_path, include_path, and some
environment variables are modified (or declared) like CC, CXX. This
allows to have multiple programs/libraries/utilities and versions in the
same machine and multiple users can access the ones they need. This is
very typical in all the HPC clusters, but maybe it is too complex to
support somehow in tramp.

Best regards, Michael.

Very thanks,
Ergus