tramp (2.3.3.26.1); process-send-eof not working?

From: Brunick, Gerard
Subject: tramp (2.3.3.26.1); process-send-eof not working?
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 04:59:08 +0000

When running on a MSYS2 Windows Emacs build and connecting to a remote Linux
machine, it does not appear that `process-send-eof'
actually sends an EOF.  In particular, from a fresh session (runemacs -Q), I
see the following in the scratch buffer:

(let ((default-directory "<remote path omitted>"))
  (start-file-process "show-bug" (get-buffer-create "*show-bug*") "cat"))
#<process show-bug>

(process-send-string (get-process "show-bug") "testing\n")
nil

(process-send-eof (get-process "show-bug"))
#<process show-bug>

[wait a bit]

(process-live-p (get-process "show-bug"))
(run open listen connect stop)

In particular, `process-send-eof' doesn't seem to end the process as it does
when I run cat (the MSYS2 cat) from a local directory on my Windows machine.  I
believe that this could potentially be causing a problem when using Magit from
Windows to Linux over TRAMP (see
https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/3624?_pjax=%23js-repo-pjax-container).

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-05-30
Package: tramp (2.3.3.26.1)

Unfortunately, I am seeing the issue on a work machine so I don't want to send
all the information generated by `tramp-bug' for fear of not scrubbing it
sufficiently.  Hopefully this is enough information for someone to replicate
the issue.

Thanks,
Gerard

T. Rowe Price (including T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. and its affiliates) and its
associates do not provide legal or tax advice.  Any tax-related discussion
contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is not intended or written
to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax
penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to any other party any
transaction or matter addressed herein.  Please consult your independent legal
counsel and/or professional tax advisor regarding any legal or tax issues
raised in this e-mail.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use
of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the
contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be
unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately and delete this e-mail.