Re: Quick guide improvements

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Quick guide improvements
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 15:35:11 +0200

Dan Jacobson <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Dan,

> 5.2 Using ‘ssh’ and ‘plink’
> ===========================
>
> If your local host runs an SSH client, and the remote host runs an SSH
> server, the most simple remote file name is
> ‘/ssh:address@hidden:/path/to/file’.  The remote file name ‘/ssh::’ opens a
> remote connection to yourself on the local host, and is taken often for
> testing TRAMP.
>

> SAY INSTEAD:
> ==========================
>
> If your local host runs an SSH client, and the remote host runs an SSH
> server, the most simple remote file name is
>
> ‘/ssh:address@hidden:/path/to/file’.

Why is this example better than the used one?

> If you have the same username there as here, just use
>
> ‘/ssh:example.com:/path/to/file’.

Hmm. This is the *Quick Start Guide*, it is not intended to explain all
wristles and wrinkles. Making the user name optional is explained later on.

> Now as we know,
> $ ssh example.com
> puts us in our home directory there.
>
> Likewise so does
> ‘/ssh:example.com:’
>
> Whereas
> ‘/ssh:example.com:/’
> is the root directory there.

Again, these are details explained later on. I don't want to expand this
quick guide.

> (Don't use "::", as the remote file name ‘/ssh::’ opens a remote
> connection to yourself on the local host (for testing TRAMP) so
> ‘/ssh::example.com:/path/to/file’won't reach example.com at all.)

I don't understand. Nobody has said you shall use
‘/ssh::example.com:/path/to/file’. It is obvious wrong.

> P.S., this 'quick' guide needs a super quick cheatsheet up front.

A cheatsheet is usually for key strokes. Tramp doesn't offer any.

Anyway, you might show how it shall look like.