Can't pick up info dir

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
Subject: Can't pick up info dir
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 20:37:34 +0800

;;Dan's simple TRAMP installation instructions:
;;As we know, emacs will never contain the freshest tramp.
;;So download the freshest version, (no git for me, as that
;;always uses more disk space.) and run tar zxvf on it,
;;cd into the directory created and run ./configure && make
;;Then put
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/Downloads/tramp/lisp/")
(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/Downloads/tramp/info/")
;;in your emacs file, then back in your ~/Downloads directory
;;$ ln -s tramp -> tramp-2.4.0 or whatever directory
;;Voila, $ emacs /adb:: #works!

Alas, C-h i still gets the old Info, not the one we installed.
Maybe I need some arguments for ./configure && make .
But I am not installing it anywhere, just leaving it in place.