Re: How do I debug this?

From: Mark Geary
Subject: Re: How do I debug this?
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 16:08:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017, Michael Albinus wrote:

Mark Geary <address@hidden> writes:

I gues there is another thing which isn't exactly a problem, but is an
annoyance. When I'm editing a file on the FreeBSD machine. I fequently
get messages [falsely] warning me that the file has changed on the
remote host. This happened with both Emacs 23.1.1 and now with 25.2. I
don't think I see this when connecting to any other machine.  How does
Tramp check this, and do you have any ideas why it might be reporting
false positives?

Hard to say, needs to debug. Emacs checks permanently, whether the
associated file of a buffer has been modified from external. This is
done by verify-visited-file-modtime, one needs to follow this
function.

If you have time, on a rainy Friday afternoon, you might want to might
call "M-x trace-function RET verify-visited-file-modtime RET" and follow
what happens. Likely, you need also to trace other related functions as
well.

I suppose there is more than one cause of the false positives. One
case is where the ssh connection drops. When I update emacs's local
copy of the file, Tramp re-creates the connection to the remote machine
and tries to check the file's stats. But Tramp doesn't always
re-create the tramp_perl_file_attributes shell function.

I've attached the relevant of the debug buffer. At the beginning Tramp
detects the connection has dropped. At the end, tramp tries to use
tramp_perl_file_attributes, which fails because it wasn't re-defined
after the re-connection.

There seem to be other cases where the false positive occurs which I
am still considering.

Mark Geary

--
Fifty-four Forty or Fight!