Re: tramp (2.2.3-24.1); Tramp repeatedly throws errors upon failing to c

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.3-24.1); Tramp repeatedly throws errors upon failing to connect
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 12:26:53 +0100

Brian Campbell <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> I don't know if it is intended that Tramp will try repeatedly
> reconnecting at a fairly high freqency, and popping up its buffer to
> report errors each time, but it makes it very hard to actually do
> anything about the problem when it happens.

Tramp is just a library. It does not open a connection on its own. Maybe
some activity from Emacs, like checking the timestamp of open files, has
triggered this.

If your current buffer is a remote one, you can close the corresponding
connection by "M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection". Any other connection
can be closed by "M-x tramp-cleanup-connection".

"M-x tramp-cleanup-all-connections" closes all remote connections.

In Tramp 2.2.4 (not merged wth Emacs 24.1), there is a check whether
Tramp opens the same connection within a short time frame. This will be
suppressed.