Re: Patch: use GNU readlink --canonicalize for file-truename when avail

From: yary
Subject: Re: Patch: use GNU readlink --canonicalize for file-truename when available
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 09:45:46 -0700

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Michael Albinus<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hmm. We have already dependencies on Perl. Another one from Python - I
> fear, that initial checks for existence of several programs on the
> remote host will grow and grow.

For what it's worth- since we have a perl dependency, perl has a
"realpath" function that follows symlinks & canonicalizes the path.
It's in the Cwd module which is in perl's standard distribution.

perl -e "use Cwd 'realpath';print realpath '/foo/bar/'"

will do it. see http://perldoc.perl.org/Cwd.html