Re: passwords being asked for when not needed - tramp-2.15

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: passwords being asked for when not needed - tramp-2.15
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 13:33:40 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> Say I am direding a remote system.  I then do an esc-x ssh command to a
> different remote machine.

Which package do you use for the "ssh command"? "M-x ssh" does not exist
in vanilla Emacs 23.

> Why does it ask for the password for the first system?  Then it asks for
> the password for the second one.

I've downloaded ssh.el from
<http://www.splode.com/~friedman/software/emacs-lisp/src/ssh.el> and
yes, the behaviour is as described by you.

The reason is that ssh.el uses internally comint for starting the ssh
process. comint knows the possibility of Tramp to start processes on the
remote host.

When you start an ssh session via ssh.el, first you get a (hidden)
remote shell to the remote host by Tramp, because the default directory
of your current buffer is a remote one. This is the first password
request. Then, ssh is started on the remote host - this is the second
password request.

ssh.el shall be changed such a way, that the ssh session is started
always locally.