Re: file storage in IMAP (eventually for Tramp) working and needs testin

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: file storage in IMAP (eventually for Tramp) working and needs testing
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:30:08 -0500

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:15:36 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

TZ> So basically the mailbox name is everything up to the last / character,
TZ> like a `dirname' call.  IMAP mailboxes can contain many characters,
TZ> including /, so we need to forbid those characters in the file name.
TZ> The base file name is then just `basename' on the full name.  I tried to
TZ> implement this by hand in tramp-imap-file-name-mailbox-or-name but there
TZ> must be a better way.

I fixed this in the code, and now it seems like filename completion
works too.  I always convert "/INBOX.test/a/b/filename" to
mailbox "INBOX.test/a/b" and message name "filename".  In addition, I
collapse the file name to make searching and usage easier by subject,
while keeping the real file name in the X-Tramp-IMAP header.

I made many other fixes so please use the attached file as a baseline if
you want to submit patches for any of the issues I listed before, or any
new issues you notice.  It's getting close to usable.

Thanks
Ted