Re: Permanently caching password

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: Permanently caching password
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 09:20:47 -0400

Ted, thanks for addressing my little problem. Subsequent to my note I
seem to have resolved it, largely by trial and error. Now able to
access all my sites via tramp.

In ~/.emacs, I have the following lines:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tramp/")
(require 'tramp)
(setq tramp-default-method "ssh")
(defadvice tramp-handle-write-region (after tramp-write-beep-advice activate)
 " make tramp beep after writing a file." (interactive) (beep))
(defadvice tramp-handle-do-copy-or-rename-file (after tramp-copy-beep-advice
 activate) " make tramp beep after copying a file." (interactive) (beep))
(defadvice tramp-handle-insert-file-contents (after tramp-copy-beep-advice
 activate) " make tramp beep after copying a file." (interactive) (beep))

And also some aliases similar to this:

  (setenv "irex" "/address@hidden:/www")

Note that I here supply a user account name before the "@", even
though that information is also contained in my ~/.netrc. I have not
experimented to find out if this is mandatory. I also found that the
value of the variable needs to precede the domain name with "ftp."

In ~/.netrc I have for this site:

  machine ftp.uss-irex.info
        login ussir001
        password XXX

I'd like to move the tramp configuration out of .emacs into a .tramp
file similar to what I did with .gnus configuration, but I don't see
why my separate .gnus file works because I have no reference to it in
.emacs. If I wanted to create a ~/.tramp configuration file, should I
have a line like this in .emacs:

(setq load-path (append load-path (list
  "~/.tramp"
  )))