Re: TRAMP problem report

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: TRAMP problem report
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 07:05:48 +0100

"Robert A. Lerche" <address@hidden> writes:

> I sent this to address@hidden but it doesn't seem to be showing
> up in the archive (I checked a day later and it wasn't present at
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/)

It is a moderated list. There might be a delay of some few days, when
Adrian, our very responsive moderator, is offline.

> Scenario: trying to use tramp to edit (locally on my laptop) files on
> a "one laptop per child" (OLPC XO) system.
>
> Because the XO has only wireless network access, I am going through a
> wireless access point that does NAT.  In order to initiate connections
> from my laptop to the OLPC I first create a tunnel via "ssh -f -N -R
> 10000:localhost:22 address@hidden" on the OLPC console.  This allows me to
> open an SSH connection from archie (my laptop, on the "outside" of the
> wireless access point) to the OLPC (behind it) via "ssh -p 10000
> address@hidden".

Tramp has some optimization code which applies a direct copy when Tramp
"believes" it is on the local host. Your tunnel via port 10000 makes
Tramp believe it. Hmm, bad.

I'll check whether I can fix it. For the time being, you might not
establish a tunnel but use Tramp's multi-hop feature. See the Tramp
manual, section "Multi-hops". Note that you must use the "ssh" method
instead of "scp"; the latter one is not suited for multi-hops.

I'll come back when I have fixed it.