Repost: cygwin/GNU emacs/tramp (2.1.1); tramp hangs on 'Setting shell pr

From: Kowalik, Yarek
Subject: Repost: cygwin/GNU emacs/tramp (2.1.1); tramp hangs on 'Setting shell prompt
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:06:00 -0700

Repost: I wasn't properly subscribed, could have missed replies.

I seem to be having some problems with tramp, and I believe it is related to the 'concat' command: an extra carriage return that's silently added at the end of several command constructs is preventing tramp to work properly in my environment (emacs started from within cygwin's zsh).

I got a part way along the way in making tramp work. My setup is as follows:

  1. cygwin (latest), including zsh
  2. starting emacs (21.3.1) under cywin's zsh
  3. Tramp version is 2.1.2
  4. changing the following in my .emacs:

(custom-set-variables
    '(tramp-encoding-command-switch "-c")
    '(tramp-encoding-shell "c:/unix/cygwin/bin/zsh.exe")
)

That seems to get me some way along, but, for some reason I think that lisp concat function is tripping me up, as it seems to be adding extra ^M in the concatenation, which trips tramp up. See debug output here:

# Opening connection for address@hidden using scp...
# Waiting 60s for local shell to come up...
# Sending command `ssh yarek.desktop -l yarek -e none; echo "Tramp" "connection" "closed"; sleep 1'
# Waiting for prompts from remote shell
# Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell on host yarek.desktop # Looking for regexp "^.*\([pP]assword\|passphrase.*\):
# Looking for regexp ".*ogin: *" from remote shell # Looking for regexp "[$]* *" from remote shell # Found remote shell prompt on `yarek.desktop'
# Sending command to remote shell: unset HISTORY $ unset HISTORY
# Sending command to remote shell: unset correct $ unset correct
# Sending command to remote shell: unset autocorrect $ unset autocorrect $ exec env 'ENV=' 'PS1=$ ' /bin/sh
# Waiting 30s for remote `/bin/sh' to come up...
env: /bin/sh^M: No such file or directory

(that should be "^M" char after 'env:/bin/sh' above)

There are several commands after that that barf the same way, notably 'sleep 1' - and looking through tramp.el, all of them seem to be constructed with "concat".

Any thoughts?  Any way to turn carriage-return appending off for 'concat' and 'format'?  Would that help/work?

Thanks,

Yarek