Re: tramp (2.0.22); tramp errs: Remote `/bin/sh' didn't come up.

From: Adrian Aichner
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.22); tramp errs: Remote `/bin/sh' didn't come up.
Date: 19 Feb 2003 21:29:59 +0100

    Kai> Adrian Aichner <address@hidden> writes:
    >> Here you go:
    >>
    >> # Opening connection for address@hidden using scpx...
    >> # Waiting for prompts from remote shell
    >> # Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
    >> # Found remote shell prompt.
    >> # Initializing remote shell
    >> $ exec env PS1='$ ' /bin/sh
    >> # Waiting 30s for remote `/bin/sh' to come up...
    >> exec env 'PS1=$ ' /bin/sh
    >>
    >> $ $ [[Regexp `\(^[^#$%>
    >> ]*[#$%>] *\|^[^#$%>
    >> ]*[#$%>] *\)\'' not found in 30 secs]]

Hi Kai,

    Kai> Okay, that's clear enough.  When you log in to the remote host using
    Kai> the same method that Tramp uses (ie, via ssh, I guess), and then you
    Kai> wait for a shell prompt, and then you type the same command that
    Kai> Tramp sent, what do you see?

This (replacing uninteresting data with ... manually):

address@hidden ~
$ ssh address@hidden
Enter passphrase ...:
Last login: ...
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS ...
bash-2.03$ exec env PS1='$ ' /bin/sh
$

    Kai> By clear enough, I mean the symptom, not the cause.  Tramp sends the
    Kai> "exec env ... /bin/sh" command to start a Bourne-ish shell and then
    Kai> it waits for a shell prompt from that shell.

    Kai> But when Tramp did it on your system, the shell answered with TWO
    Kai> shell prompts, not separated by newline.  (See the "$ $ " string.)

    Kai> Do you have any idea how this could come about?

No.

    Kai> One possibility is that it is an end-of-line problem.  What's your
    Kai> value of tramp-rsh-end-of-line?  If it is "\r\n" then it is

after accessing a remote directory unsuccessfully, I have this:

(length tramp-rsh-end-of-line)
1
(elt tramp-rsh-end-of-line 0)
?\n

    Kai> conceivable that the remote end sees two EOL characters in quick
    Kai> succession and then produces two shell prompts right after each
    Kai> other.  Does it help to frob tramp-rsh-end-of-line?  If so, is there
    Kai> a way that Tramp could have auto-detected the right value to use?

Not in my case, I guess :-)

    Kai> You could of course doctor the symptoms by making it so that "$ $ "
    Kai> is recognized as a shell prompt.  But I think it might be better to
    Kai> get to the bottom of this.

Yes, let's debug this.

--
Adrian Aichner