A few notes

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: A few notes
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 10:24:06 -0800

I haven't played with tramp for quite a while.

So found my old cvs copy and grabbed the cvs command from
CVS/Root
Moved my tramp to trampX, then ran the cvs commands to get a new one.

First thing I noticed is that the README file contains no information
about installation.

Second thing is there is no gnu style INSTALL file that contains
install information.

Third:
Ok, maybe just go to texi/tramp.texi and convert it to info to find
out about installation.

That fails because there is no 'tramp' directory yet.
That seems like a mistake to take the one place where install info
may be found, and render it unusable with out editing.

So I have three suggestions.
Only because it is not self apparent that simply running `make' will
do all I needed... (it did or does, but who'd know it?)

1) A reference in README to INSTALL file:

  `(see INSTALL file for install information)'

2) Include an `INSTALL' file something like:
cat INSTALL

  1)
      In many cases, all that is required is running `make' at the
      top level of tramp directory.
       cd ~/tramp/
       make

  2)  If that fails do this:
        cd ~/tramp/texi
      if makeinfo is installed, run:
        makeinfo tramp.texi

      else open tramp.texi in emacs and run the command:
        M-x makeinfo-buffer

      Then find the install section of tramp (the newly create
       info file) with either:
        info -f ./tramp
      or
        in emacs C-u C-h i <RET> ./tramp <RET>
=====
   Aside:
   Currently, several parts of 2) above will fail.
   tramp.texi is set to write to ../info, which isn't created yet. So
   if user needs 2) above, it will fail.

   Then even if one edits tramp.texi or just creates the `info'
   directory,  the created  file isn't readable with
   `info -f ./tramp'  it fails with
   `Can't find top dir'

   Emacs info reader has no problem with it though.
====

3: Include the info directory in the distribution intead of relying
   on make to create it.  That way point 2) would mostly work.