Re: tramp (2.0.28); tramp-auto-save-directory broken (at least in XEmacs

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.28); tramp-auto-save-directory broken (at least in XEmacs); patch included
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:59:12 +0100

Ken Neighbors <address@hidden> writes:

> Here's my patch to tramp.el.  The fix is to simply pass the newly
> defined buffer-file-name as an argument to the
> make-auto-save-file-name function, since the file-name argument takes
> precedence over the buffer-local variables buffer-file-truename and
> buffer-file-name as you can see in the code snippet above.

This fix won't work for Emacs since its make-auto-save-file-name
function does not accept arguments.

Hm.

Recent versions of Emacs have their own mechanism for redirecting
auto-save files elsewhere: there is a variable
auto-save-file-name-transforms which is applied to the filename.  So
the Tramp method isn't really needed for new Emacsen, only for old
Emacsen.

Does XEmacs have a similar mechanism?

If so, then it might be best to disable the Tramp auto-save machinery
altogether.
--
A turnip curses Elvis