tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Tlf scoring for Stew Perry?

From: Thomas Beierlein
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Tlf scoring for Stew Perry?
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:38:30 +0100

Am Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:36:19 -0600
schrieb Nate Bargmann <address@hidden>:

> * On 2013 10 Dec 00:04 -0600, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> > You did a grep for some identifier and afterward want to look at all
> > the places it is used. So you have to start less or vi or whatever
> > with all the filenames you found - that maybe a lot of typing.
> >
> > With cscope you get the search result as a list you can choose from.
> > No typing of each found filename.
>
> I suspect that were I more clever git grep would get me the same
> place. I did play with cscope a bit last night and didn't find it an
> advantage over git grep.  I then tried Kscope and was rather
> disappointed.  I do use git grep with Perl Compatible RE enabled,
> since Debian now enables it, which makes it easier for me to narrow
> searches along with colorized output and file names and line numbers
> enabled.

Interesting. So it seems I should add 'git grep' to my list of things
to look at.

I learned before that there are also different personal working styles
for different people. So you need to find the tools that works best with
your mind :-).

> > But to be honest I do use grep, sed  and other tools as well. It is
> > good to have a well filled and sorted toolbag.
>
> I haven't spent the time to learn how t use ctags effectively either.
> Unfortunately, my favorite editor Geany doesn't use native ctags but
> has its own implementation.  While I use Vim for email editing, I
> like the GUI for C work or Midnight Commander's editor for editing in
> a shell.

Well my learning phase went over the last 20 years or so (and I am still
learning new things one after another....). I mastered cscope and
ctags only in last three years. I used Kscope some time before, but
there were too much mouse action needed. Not very good.

> So many tools, so little time!

Well spoken!

73, de Tom Dl1JBE.

--