tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Autosend feature

From: FS
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Autosend feature
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 01:55:36 +0000

Ok, interesting indeed. The functionality is basicly there, but broken.
I always wondered what such a important key like "space" does in TRLOG mode. Well, it just doesn't work like intended (arrow down is the same).
The same is true for the :char command (autosend).
See the original meaning:
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com/archive/2005/03/29/autostart_cw_for_tlf.html

I think its a bug. ;-)

73 Fred

On 11/04/2013 07:39 PM, Martin Kratoska wrote:
Was: Re: [Tlf-devel] WAEDC QTC - v0.002 release :)
Dne 3.11.2013 22:09, Fred Siegmund napsal(a):
 > Hi Martin, which autosend feature do you mean? I worked with TRLOGLinux
 > and was not very satisfied, namely
 > the bandmap is very slow and there some inherited things from the
 > original program that are very stupid. Like its
 > not possible to edit the complete log. These are points were a distinct
 > progression from TRLog is visible (already
 > developed by Rein).
 >
 > 73 Fred

Hi Fred,

the Autosend feature is that which is in TRlog activated with

AUTO CALL TERMINATE = TRUE
AUTO SEND CHARACTER COUNT = 4

(here the autosend starts at 4th character). Better is an example:

OK1RRA comes back to your CQ and you want to reply. So you type OK1R (4
characters) and your program begins to send. You are now in a hurry (a
bit :-) because you must complete typing the whole call till the sending
procedure "catches" you, here you must add RA. Then follows the
exchange, the first ENTER logs in the QSO.

Some OPs hate this option, some (me including) are in love with this.
Except typing the call, you need only a single ENTER to make a complete
QSO. Isn't nice such option? Also, many other progs have this feature...

Of course, I make thorough tests of any TRLOGLinux version but it is
still far away from an useful program. Many poor bottlenecks inherited
from the obsolete DOS version - not only the impossibility to edit the
complete log but the telnet operations, the hardcoded (thus very
limited) support of quite few radio models, the predefined exchange
types (an obvious quirk when the program tries to think for the
operator) and much more. Anyway, TRlog (the original DOS version)
introduced a new philosophy which is still unbeaten today. tlf should
get much inspiration here. QTC handling in WAE is an example...

CW/SSB contesters here know all the tricks of N1MM, TR4W, WriteLog and
other powerful software packages used by winners. I believe that tlf
should come close to these top runners. First if meets all requirements
of top grade CW/SSB contesters, we should start with digimodes. Now (it
seems at least to me) is too early, there is a danger that we will have
an "universal multimode" program which does all, but does all quite bad,
with many unnecessary typing etc. which can make a program useless for a
tired operator, who is in a contest for whole weekend.

Anyway, I am very happy with tlf. This is the reason of my support of
this software (TRLOGLinux and so2sdr being still ignored here...). Kudos
to all authors and contributors, also my apologies that I am not a
coder, I am just operator who can make some tests and suggest and old,
forgotten feature.

73,
Martin, OK1RR