tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] Issues while trying to build a Nevada QSO Party rules file

From: Ben Coleman NJ8J
Subject: [Tlf-devel] Issues while trying to build a Nevada QSO Party rules file
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 01:11:35 -0400

Recently, I sat down to start putting together a rules file for the upcoming Nevada QSO party. I plan to play in a number of QSO Parties this year(plus things like NAQP), and I had figured on putting together rules files for them and contributing them back so they could be included in the TLF package. I have in the past used old DOS software for things like this, but my old DOS machine isn't going to last forever. Plus, DOS contest software can't talk to my radio, but hamlib can, so doing contests with tlf is preferable.

As I'm sure you're not surprised, some parts of the rules for this particular contest don't quite fit tlf's rules set up. I'm hoping that if I point out where the problems are for this, and for other contests I try to make rules for later, it might point to some bug fixes and wish list items for future tlf development. I hope to help make tlf rules flexible enough to handle most any contests, and then the users can contribute rules sets for contests.

Some of these things might be my misunderstandings. I haven't so far been able to find documentation on the rules file. If it's out there, but I've missed it, please point me to it. If it's not, this seems to me to be a good addition to the TODO list.

Things I've run into with NVQP:

1. I've set up a multiplier file of Nevada counties, used MULT_LIST and SECTION_MULT. Problem is that when using SECTION_MULT, tlf seems to assume that multipliers count per band, except for the hard-coded exception of ARRL Sweepstakes, and NVQP doesn't count multipliers per band. We need a SECTION_MULT equivalent of WYSIWYG_ONCE.

2. This is a MIXED contest, and qso points are different for phone vs CW/Digital (2 for phone, 3, for CW/Digital). Tlf doesn't handle that.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman address@hidden
 "I love the way Microsoft follows standards.  In much the