tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] TLF 1.1.0

From: Collins, Graham
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] TLF 1.1.0
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:32:35 -0400

Tom (and all),

Glad to see that there is some work continuing on TLF.

I have been a user of N1MM logger for some time and was the only reason I kept
a computer that used Windows. I tried just about every program I could find for
contest logging on Linux but never found suitable substitute for N1MM.

I use Ubuntu 10.04lts and initially had problems with TLF 0.9.x and was never
able to run the app but what I read about TLF intrigued me and I eventually
found the fix and the more recent versions 1.x.x.

So far so good. I created a rules file for use in the Ohio QSO party a couple
of weekends and I am quite pleased with TLF and feel it is a suitable
substitute for N1MM for my needs.

The only issue I had with TLF was when I created the Cabrillo log, TLF
truncated the exchange field. The exchange for the QSO party was the four
letter abbreviation for the county (i.e. LAKE). This field was truncated to
either two or three characters dependent on one of the other data fields. The
full four characters where in the TLF log so it looks like it is just a simple
truncation issue when TLF creates the Cabrillo log. I may just take some time
to write a little program to convert the TLF log to Cabrillo.

Someone else mentioned that they desired to have the frequency logged. This is
also one of my desires. The data is available through hamlib, is displayed and
in QSO mode (i.e. not Contest mode) the frequency is put in the TLF log (as the
last entry on the line I think).

I have started to look through the source code to try and get a better
understanding of how the program works and what would be required to add the
frequency to the TLF log in contest mode.

Cheers, Graham ve3gtc