tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] TLF Improvement Suggestions

From: Chris Maness
Subject: [Tlf-devel] TLF Improvement Suggestions
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 08:49:31 -0700

1.  VHF/UHF bands.  Available contest bands should be defined in each particular contest's "rule" file not by program itself.

2.  Separate fields specifically for populating the correct adif fields for the contests in question.  For example:  when it is in FD mode, the exchange 2A WWA should not just go in the comment field.  2A needs to go in the CLASS field and WWA needs to go into ARRL_SEC field.  This would probably require 3 seperate entry fields (CALL, CLASS, ARRL_SEC).  These fields should be re-definable -- so they could be used for other contest and other adif fields (ie grid square).  This fields should be defined in the "rules" file for that contest.

3.  Also, their is no such mode DIGI in the adif spec.  Q's that have DIGI in the mode field, get kicked out when I try to import into trusted QSL.  I have to change by hand in another program.  RTTY, PSK31 etc, are acceptable modes for tqsl.  It would be nice to have more choices in digi modes (just legit ones that won't get kicked out by other apps).

4.  Better color scheme that does not get washed out by sunlight on a computer screen.  (black and primaries like red and green would work here).

5.  Setting the CQDelay variable in the main config file does not seem to do anything to effect the CQ delay.  It has to be set each time the program is started.

6.  For field day, I was running the program on an asus eee (a diskless micro PC w/ Xandros Linux, station was on battery power), and the cw speed was unstable.  It kind of had a mind of it's own.  I do not know if this is a platform specific problem, but I will play with this more later to see if it does this on the i386 platform.

7.  The edit mode drops users into vi or some other arcane editor (yes I know, I love VI's arcaness too), and out older crew absolutely had no clue.  I was looking to add pico, but it looks like this program has been obsoleted.  However, I think that pico would even be too much for these guys.  Is there a editor that emulates the old DOS text editor.  We need something completely bonehead here.

8.  A more complete on-line help system.  I was unable to figure out how to switch between S&P modes and CQ modes for the CW macros.

Here are some features that would be nice someday, but are not as crucial:

9.  I see the program has a CT emulation mode.  It would be nice if it had a WR9R mode for FD.  This would make it VERY dumb dumb proof.

10.  A GUI mode -- It would be nice to be able to use it in console or GUI.  I really like N1MM.  Maybe this would be a model to construct it on.  Again, there should be a dumb dumb mode for this too as some of our club members even complain that N1MM is too complex (a windows app).

This is a complete list that I have come up with after actually using it in a real multi opp contest situation w/ real users.  Many of these things only revealed themselves as issues in a real contest environment.  If any others would like to add to this feel free.  I think these changes would make it an AWESOME logging program.

Thanks,
Chris Maness KQ6UP
(909) 223-9179