tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] TLD and ARRL Field Day

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] TLD and ARRL Field Day
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 20:54:42 -0500

* address@hidden <address@hidden> [2007 Jul 01 11:28 -0500]:

> > As it turned out, the logs still got slightly out of sync on the
> > primitive CT network and some work was involved afterward merging them.
>
> Ug, CT is NOT a good logging program, as it was designed by a committee of
> 1000 monkeys working on it for 100 years, or so it seems. (GRIN !)

Ouch!  As a long time CT user (since 1993), that smarts just a little.
:-)  I've tried TLF a number of times and can't seem to get my head
around it.  Perhaps it's a left brain/right brain thing.

One thing I like about CT is that it does seem to be intiutive to many
who sit down in the op's chair.  Type the call, <Space>, type the
report elements with <Space> between them and hit <Enter> to log the
QSO.  Next!  Need to edit?  Arrow up. Clear the input fields?  Hit F11.
Then teach them how to change bands and modes with a cheat sheet and
they're off an running from there.  Perhaps it's because I know the
program and had I started with TR years back, I'd probably think the CT
way is obtuse.

That said, I'm glad to see the reports of TLF being put to good use as
it means more hams are finding Linux to be a useful addition to their
hamshack.

> >> I suppose that log backup over the network would be useful, but can't
> >> that be done easily enough outside of the logging software anyways ?
> >
> > A near real time merge seems like it could be very useful for a
> > multi-multi type station.  Done right, the programs running on the
> > various computers can sync more quickly and accurately than an
> > individual can afterward.
>
> Multi-multi is NOT field day, and that was what I was referring to.

Yes, and no.  Field Day is also not a contest per se and perhaps
computer logging should be disallowed?  ;-)

Different horses for different courses and all that.  That's why we have
different programs for different approaches to the same problem.  Enjoy
the buffet.

73, de Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of