tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] Re: Tlf-devel Digest, Vol 42, Issue 2

From: NY6P
Subject: [Tlf-devel] Re: Tlf-devel Digest, Vol 42, Issue 2
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:23:06 -0800

On 12/13/2006 09:09 am, Rob, N6ROB wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:35:14 +0000
> From: address@hidden
> Subject: [Tlf-devel] Rig and key control
> To: address@hidden
>t>
>

> Hi,
>
> Just had a great time on the ARRL 10M contest using TLF.  I get better with
> this program every time I use it - even though I am an SSB-only operator
> ;o)
>
> I have been reading about using serial/parallel port for interfacing to
> radios and I writing to ask for some clarifications.
>
> My set-up is fairly conventional; one radio (TS-570D, with RS-232 serial
> port), and one desktop computer with Kubuntu+TLF+hamlib+cwdaemon.
> Currently hamlib and my radio are happy together; I can control the radio
> just like the instructions say.  I am using the voice-keyer with the VOX
> function on my radio.  This has the usual problems with various beeps, and
> noises being transmitted unintentionally from the computer to the radio and
> over the air (though this happens rarely).
>
> I am considering a more elaborate rig interface and I would like to add
> direct PTT and CW control from TLF to the radio, and maybe a footswitch
> (perhaps I can help you test 0.9.4, Joop).  However, I am using my one and
> only serial port for hamlib/rig control.  I could add a PCI card with more
> ttySx ports or the external box that ZL2BSJ reported about on this list
> (nice, but expensive).  Otherwise I can just use the lp0 since I don't use
> it for other purposes.
>
> If I understand the notes in cwdaemon correctly it will default to use
> /dev/lp0.  I believe the cwdaemon is working because the sidetone & voice
> keyer work just fine.  If I want to change the port for cwdaemon from lp0
> to something else, where can I do this?  If cwdaemon defaults to lp0, the I
> should be able to see activity on the relevant pin using a oscilloscope or
> voltmeter when TLF is sending - yes?
>
> In summary, hamlib and rig control use ttyS0 (set in the logcfg.dat file)
> and cwdaemon will use lp0 as default - do I have this correct?  I realize
> these can be configured to use other ports and I have read about those
> set-ups on this list; but I am just trying to make sure I understand this
> set-up properly.
>
> The more I learn about this program the more I like it; thank you for such
> a great contribution.  In the future I would like to contribute my
> experiences to the help notes and documentation (I recall someone asking
> for this type of support), but I must gain more experience with the
> program, first.
>
> Rein, I enjoyed your blog on 5A7A, especially the part about getting out -
> there's no place like home!
>
> 73
>
> Rob, N6ROB

What if any soundcard interface are you using?  I have the
TS-480, which also uses a rs-232 cable to access the TTYS0 port of the
computer.  I have the rig control working, but have not attempted using the
voice keyer or morse sender since I assume I need a soundcard interface.
Could you explain?  Thank you.
--

Lee <NY6P>

http://www.Hello-Radio.Com