tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Red Hat console problem

From: Bob Nielsen
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Red Hat console problem
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:37:20 -0800

On Nov 20, 2005, at 9:04 AM, Bob Nielsen wrote:

On Nov 20, 2005, at 7:47 AM, Marco - IK5ROS - VE3/IK5ROS wrote:

Hi everybody,
I have installed Fedora Core 4 without X and I'm running console mode, when I started TLF (latest version) the color scheme are ok but the horizontal and vertical lines are substituted by a qqqqqqqqqqq and xxxxx. I tried to set the variable TERM but nothing to do.
The console problem was on Red Hat 9 also.
Any idea to set the terminal to working ok?

What is your $LOCALE environmental variable setting? I get this with a lot of applications which use ncurses when using UTF-8, but not with ISO-8851. I don't know if this is a bug with UTF-8 or a configuration problem, but it is annoying.

Bob N7XY

I have installed Fedora Core 4 without X and I'm running console mode, when I started TLF (latest version) the color scheme are ok but the horizontal and vertical lines are substituted by a qqqqqqqqqqq and xxxxx. I tried to set the variable TERM but nothing to do.
The console problem was on Red Hat 9 also.
Any idea to set the terminal to working ok?

What is your $LOCALE environmental variable setting? I get this with a lot of applications which use ncurses when using UTF-8, but not with ISO-8851. I don't know if this is a bug with UTF-8 or a configuration problem, but it is annoying.

Bob N7XY

Looking a bit further, I found the following in the ncurses FAQ at <http://dickey.his.com/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html>:

-----

Line-drawing characters come out as x's and q's

The x's and q's correspond to a table (from terminfo/termcap) which tells ncurses how to map the "alternate" character set to the terminal's set of graphic characters. The reference for this table comes from the vt100. If the unmapped characters appear, then the terminal emulator does not recognize the escape sequence for switching between normal and alternate fonts that is given in the terminfo description.
There are several cases of note:
Terminal emulators which use a different escape sequence or different range for mapping the resulting characters. For instance the so- called vt100-compatibles such as Linux console and Tera Term. Terminal emulators which are locale-sensitive. Again, Linux console is a problem area when running in UTF-8 mode, since its nominal vt100- compatibility is further lessened by ignoring the escape sequences dealing with fonts. The screen utility also has the same problem; whether to make the implementation simple or to copy the Linux console, it ignores vt100-style font switching when the locale is a UTF-8 flavor. For the first case, you simply have to find the correct terminfo description. Fixing the latter is harder, since the damage is done outside ncurses. (Though one can easily make things compatible enough that this particular issue would never appear, that style of solution is not deemed proper by some coders). The normal ncurses libraries support 8-bit characters. The ncurses library can also be configured (--enable-widec) to support wide- characters (for instance Unicode and the UTF-8 encoding). The corresponding wide-character ncursesw libraries are source-compatible with the normal applications. That is, applications must be compiled and linked against the ncursesw library. The ncurses 5.3 release provides UTF-8 support. The special cases of Linux console and screen were addressed in development patches completed at the end of 2002.

-----

From the above, I suspect recompiling some of the applications using libncursesw instead of the normal libncurses should help, although I haven't tried that yet.

73, Bob N7XY