tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Pics and ask.

From: Alexandru Csete
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Pics and ask.
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:47:56 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Rein Couperus wrote:

> On Friday 03 December 2004 11:54, David Quental wrote:
> > Hello Rein,
> >
> > many thanks for the pics from CT3, they are really fine indeed.
> >
> > Only an ask:
> > is it possible use usb port instead of paralell port with cwdaemon???
> > If so, how could I do it???
>
> I don't think it is possible at the moment (and I cannot try, as my
> USB-to-Serial converter still does not work under Linux...).

I would say it is possible if cwdaemon can work with a normal serial port.
Since a USB<->RS232 converter is simply a converter between two different
plugs (and maybe signal levels) it should be possible to interface it as
if it was a regular serial port. My converter works fine, all I have to do
is to use /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 instead of /dev/ttyS0 (no drivers, no tricks,
just worked out of the box).

I am, however, not surprised by the fact that Rein's converter does not
work. I have seen converters which, according to their specs, required
Interner Explorer 5 or greater to work! Makes no sense to me...

There is also a posibility to convert USB to 8bit parallel data using a
chip from FTDI (see http://www.ftdichip.com/). I did not try this, but I
know of people who made it work under linux, although not as high transfer
rates as with the original wintendo driver. For CW the transfer rate would
not make much difference though.

> Maybe something for cwdaemon-1.0 ?
>
> Rein PA0R

73