tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] US Field Day & VHF

From: Rein Couperus
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] US Field Day & VHF
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:07:33 +0200

Hi Steve, nice to have you on board....

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 06:15, Steve Huston wrote:
> On Monday, Jul 5, 2004, at 02:23 US/Eastern, Steve Huston wrote:
> > I see a couple messages were just posted about adding VHF to this very
> > fine program to aid in US Field Day operations.  I'd like to second
> > that idea, and if I have time to go through the source I might submit
> > a patch against 0.9.19 for it (looked through, and it doesn't seem too
> > difficult to change, but I didn't look too hard either :> )
>
> Well, I've looked through, and hacked a bit.  So far, I have added
> partial capabilities for 6m, 2m, 440, 1200 and 2400.  One can change
> bands and log contacts there, but they're not yet properly displayed on
> the scoreboard right now (dupe checking seems to work fine).  As you
> scroll through the bands, 6m and 2m are displayed as such, and since
> there's already room for three characters the others are shown as .70,
> .23 and .13.

Please use TRlog (http://www.trlog.com/, manual) as an example how to
designate the bands... this to maintain some form of compatibility...

> A few things I want to get right before submitting a patch:
>
> 1) Proper scoreboard updates - I'm thinking how it works with the WARC
> bands, when you hit 6m it would rotate out the HF bands and rotate in
> the bands 50MHz and up.

o.k.

> 2) A flag for the rules that turns on/off HF and VHF, so you can have
> it do HF only, VHF only, or both.  Would default HF to on and VHF to
> off, unless in qso mode when all would be on.

For somebody who does not work higher than 30 MHz it would be easier if the
flag would also work in qso mode...

> A couple questions I'd like to know from the users:
>
> 1) Should I look to add a 'FM' mode?  I'm completely new to contesting,
> I would imagine that for contacts there isn't much distinction between
> SSB and FM, but if there's a call for it I'll see what I can do.

TRlog also has an FM mode (look in chapter 'VHF contesting" in the manual).
For the contest it is treated the same as 'PH' (phone).

> 2) Since the scoreboard currently holds 6 bands, and I have 5 bands
> added, which would be a good 6th to put in the mix?  220?  900?  Both,
> and take 2.4GHz or 1.2GHz out?  Add both and figure something else out
> for displaying them?

I'd like to limit the VIEW to 6 bands at the time, and scroll...

> I hope to have a working patch by the end of the week, and when I've
> got something that "works for me" and compiles I'll send it in for
> scrutiny.  I also noticed in the comments that "NBANDS" was defined,
> but the comment said that the number 9 was still hardcoded in many
> places; in adding other bands, I think I found them all :>

Of course you are welcome to change it... in fact, anything that will increase
the maintainability of the code is welcome.

N.B.: The number of bands / band names  is used in many places throughout the
programme, including:
Scoring, band switching from the program, bandswitching from the rig, direct
frequency input, etc... This will need quite some testing for side effects.

73,

Rein PA0R