tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] will TLF run on Mandrake or Debian Linux types?

From: Ed Lawson
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] will TLF run on Mandrake or Debian Linux types?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:20:17 -0400

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:04:44 -0700
K6 BBQ <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Well I finally got an old laptop and am going to partition the hard
> drive and install Linux

What are the specs of the laptop?  that might have a great deal to do
with what distro would be best for it.

> Maybe there is one better to use and learn than other types.
>
> Any suggestions?

I would suggest running Debian and the unstable branch of it as odd as
that might sound.  It has many ham related packages ready to install
including TLF and there is a relatively active group of Debian users who
are also hams.  If you have a broad band connection installing over the
Net is preferred actually and you only need a small CD to get started.

another way would be to get the ham focused Knoppix bootable CD and try
out Linux without installing it to your HD.

Ed Lawson
K1VP