tjais-dev

[dgAIS] MACS and AIS

From: Mario D . Santana
Subject: [dgAIS] MACS and AIS
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 18:05:23 -0700

Hello, all.

I'm working on a project called MACS (the Modular Access Control System) which doesn't do cross-site SSO at the moment but would like to in the near future. Instead of reinventing the wheel, I'd like to use AIS in whole or in part for this purpose. In conversations with David Nicol, I've also heard that AIS might benefit from using MACS as the underlying authentication system. I'd like to look into an integration of the two in the next weeks, and am hoping for some feedback, advice on how to go about it, or whether it even makes sense. And help. =)

The bird's-eye view of MACS is that it's an Identity and Access Management" solution -- a sort of meta-auth system. It's designed so that all the authentication, authorization, and user/profile operations it serves up can be handled by 3rd-party systems via what we call "Method Adapters." So, for example, a user could authenticate with their Yahoo! password, access content A according to permissions in Samba share B, and have it personalized according to information in an LDAP customer database. (Sort of a griffon of an example, but there it is... ;-)

More information about MACS can be found at http://macs.sf.net/

Cheers.

mds