Re: [Tinycc-devel] C99 static array indices in function args

From: Michael B. Smith
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] C99 static array indices in function args
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 00:51:51 +0000

It's in 6.7.5.3/7 in C99 for 'static'.

It's in 6.7.3/5 in C99 for 'const'.

Using 'static' seems to have two implied contracts:

[1] don't allow NULL parameters
[2] verify, when possible, that the passed array has AT LEAST the number of
elements defined

Using 'const' has an implied contract:

[3] treat the array as if were a const array (e.g., "char a[const] --> char *
const a")

Recent versions of gcc and clang do 1 and 2 (as warnings). I can't find
anything definitive about 3.

'restrict' is allowed by tcc, but ignored. I think that that is a bug.
'restrict' has several defined (not just implied) contracts. This should
require at least a warning.

Supporting 'const' properly is actually pretty easy.

Supporting 'static' - well, [1] requires that tcc generate code (to handle both
runtime and compile-time cases), and [2] may (or may not) be easy to do
depending on the parameter. If we assume locally defined arrays, like VLAs,
then it is easy.

However, supporting 'static' does not require diagnostics (unlike 'const').
They can be ignored and the behavior is simply 'undefined'. Not that I think
that is proper. I would think to emit warnings that I was ignoring the intended
impact of the modifier.

In tcc, see tccgen.c beginning at 4,334 and at 3,998 for parse_btype.