Re: [Tinycc-devel] debug info broken

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] debug info broken
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 00:26:34 +0100

Michael Matz wrote:
Maybe this is the problem in that gdb doesn't want to read debug info further after seeing this error?

Yes, seems that GDB (or some version of) refuses to load any symbols
at all, also not from stabs, if dwarf info (which comes from crt1/i/n.o)
is broken.

And that might well be because of missing relocation which is because
of (as foobar wrote):
maybe it's because i use musl libc
in combination with that patch here
http://repo.or.cz/tinycc.git/commitdiff/0ac29b53#patch8

And this (IMO still wrong) addition has some history.  Initially from
myself:
http://repo.or.cz/tinycc.git/commitdiff/0d598aca

then reverted:
I don't remember what the problem was but it was the wrong way to fix it.
http://repo.or.cz/tinycc.git/commitdiff/09d4e4f4

then re-reverted by seyko, for some reason:
http://repo.or.cz/tinycc.git/commitdiff/92024ab0

But why, as the comment suggests, some versions of GDB work better if
dwarf info is broken remains a mystery to me.  Maybe these won't
load stabs if dwarf is ok.

If it were me I'd still just remove that "&& (s->sh_flags & SHF_ALLOC))".

And maybe set "seencompressed = 1" from the beginning and not load
any dwarf at all ;)

Whatever...

-- gr