Re: [Tinycc-devel] forward asm symbols vs static

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] forward asm symbols vs static
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 17:50:57 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017, grischka wrote:

> Except ... there was one text relocation which at first I could not
> explain where it comes from but then with some objdumps I found it
> was a relocation to the 'p3' label in libtcc1.a:alloca86_64.s which
> defeated my efforts to get rid of DT_TEXTREL (at least for a self-
> compiled tcc at least on x86_64, that is).  See here
>
>     /* alloca86_64.S */
>     .globl alloca
>
>     alloca:
>         pop     %rdx
>         jz      p3
>     p3:
>         push    %rdx
>         ret
>
> Now I would think that 'p3' neither is global nor is undefined and
> therefor should not be placed in dynsym and even less with a non-pc-
> relative relocation.  The only thing that is particular about p3
> (say in contrast to p1 and p2) is that it is a forward label.

Aha!  Indeed, p3 should be STB_LOCAL, and now (after my revert or before
your patch) isn't anymore.  Okay, I'll work on this.  Need to find a way
to get both things working, hmm :)

> Btw. my current 0.9.27 release plan is to do it as soon as I have
> time, using basically the current state of code (with one last commit).
> Is there something that you're currently working that would be a reason
> wait some more time?

Nope.  In fact I have a couple things in various branches where I was
waiting for the release to happen, as I wanted to not disrupt stuff
before.  But I think the above p3 problem should be fixed first.  Perhaps
later today or tomorrow.

Ciao,
Michael.