Re: [Tinycc-devel] c89

From: Larry Doolittle
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] c89
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 20:14:25 -0700

Friends -

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 03:49:09PM -0700, Larry Doolittle wrote:
> Someone asked about c89.  I made a simple experiment on mob.
> 1.  Replace 67 //-style comments with /* */
> 2.  #define inline __inline__ in tcc.h
> 3.  Use --std=c89 under gcc-4.9.2 on x86_64
> The result builds and passes self-tests.

I went through the tcc compile with --std=c89 -pedantic and
--std=c99 -pedantic options.  That flagged the "long long" feature
mentioned already, plus a bunch more potential barriers to strict
c89 or even c99 compilers.

Does someone have a concrete example of a c89 compiler they hope to
boostrap from?  Preferably one that can be downloaded and run (maybe in
an emulator) without payment.  For bootstrapping purposes, there are many
workarounds that can be considered that might not fly for a production
compiler.

  - Larry