[Tinycc-devel] tiny bit of lint

From: Larry Doolittle
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] tiny bit of lint
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 20:12:39 -0700

Esteemed tinycc maintainers -

One of my hobbies is turning up the C compiler warning level in projects
I'm interested in, and seeing what lint shows up.  Tinycc is really pretty
clean.

Using gcc's -Wextra, I found 17 "unused parameter", which could be
addressed by bloating the source code a bit (casting to void), and with
no consequence on the binary.  If anyone else thought that would be an
improvement, I'd be happy to write and submit a patch.

Using gcc's -Wextra, I found 23 "missing initializer for field", all
generated by macros in x86_64-asm.h.  I would not be able to test any attempt
to improve that situation, so I'll leave it alone.

Using gcc's -Wwrite-strings, I found one simple lack-of-const in tcctools.c,
patch attached.  The patch has zero effect on the code's functionality.  That
patch also adds "undef strict-prototypes write-strings" to the list of warning
flags that will be used if present.

I'm a fan of using the writer/editor paradigm, so I won't actually commit
this to mob myself.  I encourage someone in-tune with community values to
put on their editor's hat, double-check that my patch makes sense and doesn't
break anything, and then commit it or suggest changes.

   - Larry