Re: [Tinycc-devel] Very sorry - newbie questions

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Very sorry - newbie questions
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:45:08 +0800

On 3/13/2017 4:47 PM, Tony Robinson wrote:
Doh.  Yup, it was a very newbie error, thanks to Ramsay Jones and
Michael Matz for pointing me at the git repo - that worked
flawlessly (I'd skim read the last 6 months of archives and misled
myself about release timings).

I do appreciate that there are very many hurdles to get tcc
running on a new bare metal target.  C itself mandates at least 16
bits for the int type, but I may find that tcc won't let me do
that.   Then there are libraries and system calls - I really don't
mind cheating and passing system calls and whatever libraries I
can't sensibly port to the Linux (Raspberry Pi) host - I'm not
going to write a whole OS in my 16 bit address space.   I know
I've got many years worth of challenges ahead, that's okay, I hope
I can spend many years on this project.

All the best on the project! I have this pile of old transistors and diodes and whenever I look at them my thoughts keep veering to the guy who did the 4004 in discrete device form...

Just curious, I assume your project has to do with electronics hardware in some form real or virtual, and related to embedded hardware -- so I would like to ask one thing: Have you considered SDCC? If so, would you like to comment on any TCC vs SDCC considerations with regards to your project needs? (It is not my intention to compare and declare winners, but only curious to learn which one fits particular needs better in your case...)

Thanks for you help and encouragement, I have fond memories of
decades of C programming and now I know where to start.

Happy hacking!
--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)