tiger-user

Re: Réf. : Fw: [Tiger-user] (no subject)

From: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña
Subject: Re: Réf. : Fw: [Tiger-user] (no subject)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 01:19:53 +0200

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:06:47PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

> Context :
> Machine is  IBM,7025-F50
> OS is AIX5.1 ML3

AIX is listed as supported but not fully tested so bugs are expected.

> I tried to reapply the whole process :
>
> 1-Download the tiger package tiger-3.1.tar.Z

That's not the latest stable version. The latest stable (bug fixes et al)
is 3.2.1. Unfortunately, something is wrong with Savannah's upload area and
there are currently no mirrors out there I know of. If you don't have the
sources, I can provide you a copy.

> 2-Unzip it with gzip
> 3-Create a filesystem /usr/local/tiger
> 3-Untar the package in this filesystem
> 4-Set dir to /usr/local/tiger
> 5-Tried to run ./tiger (cannot execute)

Those errors are strange, however, it seems that the
tiger binary in 3.1's tar.gz was not executable (that's fixed in 3.2.1 tars
though)

To avoid this:

1.- Take the file
2.- Unzip it
3.- Create a directory somewhere (not /usr/local)
4.- Untar in that directory
5.- Set dir to that directorio
5.- './configure'
6.- './make install'
(will install in /usr/local/tiger)
7.- Run /usr/local/tiger

> Finally obtained :
>

> stelprex1:/usr/local/tiger # ./tiger
(...)
> Will try to check using config for 'RS6000' running AIX 5.1...
> --CONFIG-- [con007c] No configuration files for AIX.  Using default
>            configuration files.  Not all checks may be performed.

Notice this message. This is because there are no config files for AIX 5 at
all (i.e. no systems/AIX/5/config file available), so it's using the
default UNIX ones which don't apply here (and cause many of the errors you
see).

>     root 133108 138802   0 13:45:17  pts/0  0:00 grep ypserv
      ^^^^^^^^

This is probably a bug that has hopefully been fixed already.

> /bin/hostname: illegal option -- f

This is because the config file is the generic one since there is no one
for AIX.

> Tiger security scripts *** 3.1, 2002.1009.01.46 ***
> No such file or directory

Unknown error.

> ./tiger[117]: /usr/local/tiger/log/security.report.usage: /bin/hostname [-s]
> [ho
> stname].tmp.139612: cannot create

Strange error.... Probably related to the script trying to create a file
named XXXXX`hostname -s` which turns out to be invalid. Tiger defines
logtmp as
  logtmp="$LOGDIR/security.report.${HOSTNAME}.tmp.$$"

and  HOSTNAME is not executed properly:
(in /config)
        HOSTNAME=`$GETHOSTNAME`
(in systems/default/config)
GETHOSTNAME=`findcmd hostname`
[ ! -n "$GETHOSTNAME" ] && {
  GETHOSTNAME=`findcmd uname`
  [ -n "$GETHOSTNAME" ] && GETHOSTNAME="$GETHOSTNAME -n"
}

> stname].tmp.139612: cannot create
> 13:45> Security report completed for usage: /bin/hostname [-s] [hostname].
> Usage: mv [-i | -f] [-E{force|ignore|warn}] [--] src target
>    or: mv [-i | -f] [-E{force|ignore|warn}] [--] src1 ... srcN directory

This error is also related to the wrong definition of logtmp.

All the problems stem from the same issue: Tiger does not yet support AIX
5. There are two ways to fix it:

- (temporary hack which might not work fully) go to systems/AIX and copy
the '4' directory to '5'

- The following tasks would help us start porting Tiger to AIX 5 (and
fully support it):
        1.- Run 'sh /usr/local/tiger/util/buildconf /tmp/AIX-config' and
        provide us the resulting /tmp/AIX-config file.
        2.- Run 'sh -x /usr/local/tiger/tiger' and provides us the output
        (please do this in a system which does not have any sensitive
        information)
        3.- Provide us access to an AIX system (if Ryan cannot manage to
        get access to one)

Based on that information we could be able to provide a proper
configuration for AIX 5 so that it does not default to the generic one (and
is bound to cause problems as you've seen)

Thanks for your help.

Javier