therion-users

Re: [Therion] 3d file wall models - scrap connections

From: Wookey
Subject: Re: [Therion] 3d file wall models - scrap connections
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:38:05 +0100

On 06-09-23 07:20 +0200, Stacho Mudrak wrote:
> Wookey wrote:
> > I very much like the 3d map output into survex .3d format. However it
> > does seem to have a problem at joins. It all looks lovely in plan
> > view, but as soon as you look sideways you will see that there is
> > often a vertical offset in the lines at the join.
>
> Yes, but doing it correctly is really a great problem. Currently, we
> process joins in 2D, and even there it does not work very well :( If you
> do not draw sketches in scale, therion is not able to morph scraps
> correctly. Doing morphing in 3D would be nice, but to do it, we need to
> redesign morphing codes completely. We have started to work on this, but
> it will definitely take some time.

OK. fair enough.

> In the near future, I would like to finish new 3D viewer (this has
> priority #1), then we would like to add support of geographical
> coordinate systems (UTM and others) directly in therion and then, we can
> start improving morphing functions.

I agree with your priority ordering.

> > See http://wookware.org/mulu/MuluWalls.3d, then look at it on a bit of
> > a tilt.
>
> BTW, do you present also these 3D's, that you want them to look
> smoother? I am wondering :) I need smooth joins in 3D just for model
> generation.

I have not yet presented them, no, but that is partly because they
only look good from directly above.

BTW on a related matter I tried to export a model to vrml and 3dmf and
found that I could not find anything that actually worked. The mview
viewer segfaulted, the openvrml viewer didn't seem to be suitable for
an object (as opposed to a world). I couldn't build the viewer for 3dmf.

I will trya bit harder and report more if I really can't get it to go.

Wookey
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/