therion-users

Re: [therion-users] 0.2.10

From: Stacho Mudrak
Subject: Re: [therion-users] 0.2.10
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 09:33:49 +0200

Uff, so many things in one mail... But anyway, thanks.

So...

> OK - I packaged this a couple of weeks ago but haven't had time to get
back
> to you with the queries I had. This new packaging means that environment
> variables are no longer required for normal installation.
>
> The interim results are here:
> html://www.chaos.org.uk/~wookey/software/therion/

I would like to have a look at it, but in fact I'm a RPM user, so firstly I
should download some DEB2RPM converter... :-(

> 0) what does makeconvert2.pl do? It needs a description/man page of
> exactly what it changes. It looks a lot like makeconvert.pl (which ships
in
> debian as thconvert) - can we combine both of them into one 'thconvert'
> which will update your files if necessary.

We've changed the object with survey data named "data" to "centerline" =>
it's more natural. This script convert all input files from old to new
format.

> 1) What has actually changed this version? Some details would be useful -
> doc/Update is not very detailed. I have incorporated the make change in
the
> debian packaging and chapter 6 (which used to say that it would not build
> on windows).

In fact, a lot of BUGs have been fixed - that users probably didn't noticed
and lot of internal changes were done, that are not visible for the user
(the comunication between mpost and pdftex).

> But what about the transparency/opaciry options - are they explained
anywhere?

OK, so:
transparency -> turn on/off transparency in PDF files
opacity -> set the opacity value for scrap fillings

> And I see that you have added xtherion.ini which looks like it controls
> some font options. Does this makes the font sizes configurable as I
> previously requested? Which options for which text? Does this make my
patch
> to change the font sizes in src/xtherion/global.tcl unecessary?:

I don't think so. This patch is still usefull, when you want to have in your
package the default font set to Helvetica 10. But xtherion.ini is in fact
the configuration TCL skript, that is readed (if this file is found) when
xtherion starts. This enables us to configure fonts and other options in
this file. It take us one code line more to program and now every user is
able to configure xtherion clean way. efont = editor font, lfont = label
(and text entry) font.

In fact, now only a very few changes are needed to complete xtherion
developement. When this will be done, I would like to write the xtherion
manual.

> 2) what is the executable threpair-files - is it needed for linux or only
> for some other OS?

This is only a test thing. On MAC OS X, there were some problems with EOLN
characters. So this script reads files and convert EOLNs to UNIX standard.
This executable will be removed immediately, when we will find the core of
the problems...

> 3) I patched all the C++ warnings. Most of these do not actually cause
> problems (maybe none of these) but it is good to have no warnings in a
> normal compile so that real warnings become obvious. Attached.

Thanks a lot, I've add initializations yesterday evening ;-))). All others
I'll study.

> 4) There are still a couple of files in the source tarball that probably
> shouldn't be there:
> src/index.html
> src/test/map_elev.th (null file)

OK, I'll remove them.

> 5) HISTORY and AUTHORS have been removed from doc. Is there a reason for
> this - they seem like a good idea to me (and I've put them back in the
> Debian version)

We've put these in the thbook file.

> 6) This file does not have carriage returns on the end and really ought
to:
> doc/UPDATE

OK.

> OK, I think that was all.
>
> Wookey

Thanks a lot. I'll try to incorporate those changes, but it may take week or
two weeks to proceed. Now we're making a huge simplification of map
compilation process, which in fact means, that theps2pdf and perl will not
be needed any more - all will be done by therion.

Also we would like to remove dependency on survex executables. Do you know
what is the state of "survex library", that we could link to therion? (it's
mentioned in survex TODO). Anyway, until it will be done, we can link survex
source files (with simple modifications) directly to therion (like img.c
is). When we will add SVG map output, no other programs will be needed to
compile therion files. What do you think?

Until next release, it may take (I suppose) one month, because we're now
changing our web hosting service provider. The new WEB page should be more
accessible from the world and we should have our own mailing list. So the
new release will come with the new web page.

Best regards, S.