tftb-help

Re: [Tftb-help] Help, why 'morlet' and 'a' expressions are of this form

From: François AUGER
Subject: Re: [Tftb-help] Help, why 'morlet' and 'a' expressions are of this form in tfrscalo?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:27:22 +0100

Dear Ting Xu,

At 03:45 10/03/2011, ting xu wrote:
Greetings all,
I am trying to use wavelet method to analyze the brain signal. I found the results from 'tfrscalo' and 'cwt' were different. It is difficult for me to understand the following questions: (1) In tfrscalo, the script showed that the morlet wavelet was generated by ha = exp(-(2*log(10)/nha^2)*tha.^2).*exp(i*2*pi*f(ptr)*tha). Should the morlet be exp(-x^2/2)*cos(5*x)?

I think that exp(-x^2/2)*cos(5*x) is the Mexican hat wavelet, not the Morlet Wavelet.

(2) the scale 'a' and the frequency 'f' have a relationship f=fc*fs/a, here fc is the center frequency of a wavelet, fs is the sampling frequency. But in tfrscalo, f = logspace(log10(fmin),log10(fmax),N), a = logspace(log10(fmax/fmin),log10(1),N), it does not seem to satisfy f=fc*fs/a. I have confused about it.

The dilation factor is adimensional. If you multiply fc by fs, the result will be in s^{-2}, and can't be equal to the frequency f.
I am not sure to be able to understand your question.

Best regards,

Can anyone help me please? Much appreciate!

Best regards,
Ting Xu

--
Xu,Ting