Re: [Texmacs-dev] Suggestion: remove misc/admin/admin.makefile from CVS

From: Jeremy Henty
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Suggestion: remove misc/admin/admin.makefile from CVS
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 19:52:00 +0100

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 07:38:01PM +0200, Henri Lesourd wrote:

> >I think that misc/admin/admin.makefile  should be removed from CVS.
> >It   is    autogenerated   from   misc/admin/admin.makefile.in   by
> >./configure
>
> This  is the  same for  'configure'  itself (which  is created  from
> configure.in) and  a bunch of other  files which must  be created by
> means of autoconf, autoheader, etc.

No, it's more  complicated than that.  There are 12  *.in files in the
source tree and  (with 3 exceptions) in every case  the foo.in file is
under  CVS control  and  the  corresponding foo  file  is not.   (I've
checked all  the relevant  CVS/Entries files to  verify this.)   The 3
exceptions    are   configure.in   ,    misc/rpm/TeXmacs.spec.in   and
misc/admin/admin.makefile.in .

I  think  misc/admin/admin.makefile.in  and  misc/admin/admin.makefile
should  be handled  in the  same way  as the  majority of  the others,
ie. the  first should be in CVS  and the second should  not.

In  other words  I'm actually  agreeing  with Henri  about how  things
*should* be,  my point is that  currently misc/admin/admin.makefile is
being handled differently, and it shouldn't be.

(As for the other 2 exceptions,  I don't know the proper way to handle
misc/rpm/TeXmacs.spec.in , and configure.in  is an exception.  In fact
configure.in is not a *.in file at all, because configure is generated
from configure.in  by autoconf, whereas the other  files are generated
from their  *.in by configure .   That's why modern  source trees have
renamed configure.in to configure.ac .)

Regards,

Jeremy Henty