[Texmacs-dev] Re: Improved facilities for benchmarking

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Improved facilities for benchmarking
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:18:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> I still do not understand where the main bottleneck lies though,
> but this can now be investigated in more detail. The article takes
> about a second to be typeset (update buffer), but about 12 seconds
> to be loaded for the first time...

I got the main faulter: kpsewhich

Timing ] Task 'typeset' took 10626 ms
Timing ] Task 'decode pk' took 513 ms (67 invocations)
Timing ] Task 'decode tfm' took 2 ms (66 invocations)
Timing ] Task 'find font' took 9176 ms (72 invocations)
Timing ] Task 'kpsewhich' took 5365 ms (139 invocations)
Timing ] Task 'load file' took 204 ms (432 invocations)
Timing ] Task 'load tex font' took 8904 ms (67 invocations)
Timing ] Task 'read directory' took 7 ms (201 invocations)
Timing ] Task 'stat' took 75 ms (2657 invocations)

More generally, locating the fonts takes the bulk of the time,
actually loading them only a second or so (one also should count
the virtual fonts; I still need to time this). Anyway, a major
optimization would be the creation of a cache file with
the locations of the fonts which are frequently being used.