Re: [Texmacs-dev] <new-line> primitive

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] <new-line> primitive
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:53:04 +0200

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 09:25:03AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:

> According to the documentation, it typesets a logical paragraph into a
> physical paragraph. Physical paragraphs are typeset the same was a
> logical paragraphs, but are not distinct subtrees of a document node.
>
> What I don't understand it why we need this primitive? As far as the
> user is concerned, it would be equally valid to simply type <ENTER>
> when done with a paragraph. Then why would I care whether TeXmacs
> internally stores the paragraph as one node or a separate node?
>
> My guess is that it is more useful in style files but should not be
> used directly in documents. Am I correct?

New-line and next-line can be used where the document structure (after
macro expansion) does not allow for the inclusion of a nested DOCUMENT
node.

The distinction between new-line and next-line is that some processing
(that would have to be documented) takes place at physical hard line
boundaries (DOCUMENT, NEW-LINE, NEXT-LINE) while other only take place
at physical paragraph boundaries (DOCUMENT, NEW-LINE).

The most obvious example is the insertion of inter-paragraph vertical
spaces (par-par-sep), but there might be other things too, like
indentation handling, delayed typesetting primitives (like page
breaking) etc.

Check the source for more details, and please contribute documentation.

--
                                                            -- ddaa