Re: [Texmacs-dev] Multiple column support

From: Andrey G. Grozin
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Multiple column support
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:01:37 +0700

Hello *,

> I don't understand why floating figures and tables are so generic as to
> allow the user to type text into a place within the figure other than
> the caption. A figure should only allow the linking or embedding of a,
> well, figure, like EPS, etc., and a table should come pre-configured
> with a tabular and a caption, /and that's it/, no room for
> extra-caption, intra-figure text.
I'm sorry I haven't followed this thread closely, and maybe I don't quite
understand the context. But from my experience of working with LaTeX,
short fragments of text or (more frequently) formulas superposed upon an
included .eps figure are absolutely vital. I am now finishing a second
physics book in LaTeX, not counting half-a-hundred or so papers. My
typical figures look like

\begin{figure}[ht]
\begin{center}
\begin{picture}(w,h)
\put(x0,y0){\includegraphics{file.eps}}
\put(x1,y1){$x$}
\put(x2,y2){$y$}
\put(x10,y10){$p=q+k$}
\end{picture}
\end{center}
\caption{blah-blah}
\label{foo}
\end{figure}

I would *really* like the possibility to type some text fragments
(including formulas) on top of a figure in TeXmacs, and to move these
fragments if their positioning doesn't look right.

Andrey